Curious Cosmos
Sign in to follow this  
Cosmo

The dangers of artificial intelligence

I was browsing through the 2nd Earth YouTube channel and found a couple videos about how worried we should be about the rise of artificial intelligence:

This video got a lot of replies, so he made a more in-depth episode here:

I'm not convinced there's anything to be worried about. All AI needs human intervention to even function, and there's nothing really stopping us from just pulling the plug or overriding the programming remotely. Perhaps there's something to worry about 20 or 30 years from now when the infrastructure for something like Skynet is even a remotely possible, but I'm just not buying it.

My wife is TERRIFIED of robots taking over though ;) We watched Humans and when the android walks out of the house with the child at the end of the first episode, she refused to watch any more.

AI is real but lets not forget it requires human input to exist. AI's control is directly dependent upon human interaction...Banks, retail outlets and other businesses are already using it.....Machines can only go as far as humans allow them to....On that note if you look at how things are controlled today; everything is on a computer and we are at the mercy those computers but they do not have the capability to control us without human input. They are controlling us now but they are doing it under human control.

• Like 1

Exactly. Computers do what we tell them to do. They rely on humans to tell them how to act or react.

Extrapolate that to the scale that these people are discussing, it's still the case. The robots in the video relied on WiFi to communicate and use their "neural net". If all we have to do is unplug a router or flip a breaker, the last thing I'd be worried about is an AI uprising.