Curious Cosmos
Sign in to follow this  
Cosmo

Astronaut John Young, who walked on the moon dies at 87

https://www.space.com/39307-astronaut-john-young-moonwalker-shuttle-commander-obituary.html

image.png.0985cd559c3a42b0a48b555b7820a8d2.png

John Young, NASA's longest-serving astronaut, who walked on the moon and flew on the first Gemini and space shuttle missions, has died.

The first person to fly six times into space — seven, if you count his launch off of the moon in 1972 — and the only astronaut to command four different types of spacecraft, Young died on Friday (Jan. 5) following complications from pneumonia. He was 87.

"NASA and the world have lost a pioneer," said NASA acting administrator Robert Lightfoot in a statement on Saturday (Jan. 6). "John Young's storied career spanned three generations of spaceflight; we will stand on his shoulders as we look toward the next human frontier." 

"Young was at the forefront of human space exploration with his poise, talent, and tenacity. He was in every way the 'astronaut’s astronaut,'" Lightfoot said. 

Damn :( It's always sad when we lose someone like this, especially when they're one of the few people who did something as extraordinary as going to the moon.

I remember watching videos of this guy in grade school!

It was Wally Schirra and John Young and a few others that inspired me to get out and live my life. They were test pilots that got a lucky break and accepted into the new space program. I would like to know who inspired them. It's how he lead his life that makes me visit the astronauts hall of fame and look into all of the memorabilia displays of Great, Fearless, Trusting, test pilots that took flight to the extreme limits.

• Like 1

It would be AWESOME to know who someone like Joun Young admired. When you've done everything he has and still lived to an old age, who's left for someone like him to look up to?

The Navy involvement in NASA from 1962 to 1976 is stated in his career. While regular citizens wished to be where he was, they needed to join the correct branch of the defence department or no chance at all. The truth of joining the Navy as the way into the space program is disclosed in John Young 's write up on space.com. He und the right way while others just went unnoticed flying concord or 777 and all kinds of things. See Franky Zapata inspire many on internet videos, and notice that defence department is very interested in his site.

John Young must have a Navy writing obituary for further reading. He fulfilled a long career of work and service to be proud of.

• Like 1